Downsizing homes seem more common today than actually downsizing businesses. Many people are accepting this connotation positively. Large homes are expensive to maintain as stuff magically accumulate in the attic’s or garage black hole. When it comes to our homes,whether they are an apartment, house or mansion, whatever space we have seems to be shrinking as we gather more and more possessions as our families grow. This increasing need for space means many of us look for storage and movers to move us into storage. Families have many options with the many traditional storage facilities but should consider the benefits of mobile storage as well.
But moving from a large house to a small one is not a walk in the park. How do you move? How do you decide what to dispose and what to keep? What do you do with excess items you don’t want to get rid of? Fortunately, we’ve gathered what you may need to do and presented it step-by-step to make your transition seamless.
Step 1: Prepare for downsizing
Downsizing is both physical and psychological. Regardless of why you are downsizing, don’t feel limited. Going small comes with numerous advantages including lower maintenance, less pressure to host big gatherings and easier upkeep. You may be relocating to an urban center that reduces over-dependence on cars to access social amenities. Think positively as you winnow your belongings.
Step 2: Decide what to dispose
Deciding what to get rid of begins with choosing what you must have. Assume you lost everything in your home. What would you need immediately? What will break your heart if lost? Your answers give you a list of items to keep. It makes the entire process easier. Get rid of the obvious and cut back on duplicates.
Step 3: Get rid of unnecessary stuff
Disposing items is not as easy as most people think. As an observer, it looks easy. To help make this process smooth and easy try the following:
• Give to relatives: Some relatives get upset if they discover you got rid of family heirlooms without their consent. Offer to pass them on as family treasures.
• Consider selling some items: You can make money selling items on eBay and Craigslist if you have time. You can even consider hiring a firm to help you sell.
• Get storage from friends and family: If you have relatives and friends with enough space to spare it’s the best option.
However, storage from friends and family comes with its own challenges. Can you store valuable items? Will your belongings be covered by their insurance in case of theft, fire and natural disasters?
Step 4: Consider mobile storage
Finding the best storage solutions that meet your moving and storage need is not always straightforward. You may know what you want, but not all moving companies Anaheim offer both services at affordable rates. Traditional storage solutions may no longer give you convenience and flexibility.
Why consider mobile storage?
1. Convenience and Affordability
Traditionally, you were required to take your items to a storage facility to store them. When you need them, you had to go and collect them. Today, you have better alternatives. Apart from getting affordable rates, mobile storage offers flexibility and convenience.
You don’t have to drag your items in boxes to a storage unit in a short time. Instead, moving companies in Anaheim CA like Box-n-Go deliver storage units to your home. As you plan to move, you’re given enough time to load your belongings. Once you’re done packing, make a phone call and the company comes to collect.
2. Temporary storage
Mobile storage is ideal for downsizing since it saves you from spending money renting traditional storage facilities. You don’t have to load and offload your items in one day. You may want to take your time planning and thinking what to do with some items. While other people can decide to get rid of belongings fast, others need time.
3. Easy to get items
When you need your items, you don’t have to travel to the storage site. They’re delivered close to where you have relocated. You can pack and store anytime and access them when you need. This saves you from worrying about their safety and how they’re stored since you have control.
Even when moving to another city, moving companies that offer storage solutions have storage facilities almost everywhere. They simply move your items to the nearest facility in your new home. That way, you worry less about travelling long distances to get some of your items.
4. Insurance cover
Most storage companies have insurance coverage to safeguard your belongings in storage. However, this is not automatic for all companies. It’s prudent to ask various companies if they offer or if you must have your own.
Items are stored in a safe facility with constant surveillance. Most of them have 24-hour monitored security cameras and often utilize sophisticated locking systems and alarms. The size of storage space depends on your items.
Step 5: Choose the best moving company Anaheim
There are very many moving companies Anaheim CA. Finding a reputable one requires patience and research. To help you through the process, here are a few things to consider:
• Hire a local company: Hiring a local mover saves you from transacting with unscrupulous companies operating solely via the internet.
• Get estimates: It’s prudent to get a few written in-home estimates. Be cautious with companies that provide estimates without sending a representative to evaluate the job and those with very low estimates.
• Verify credentials: Licensed movers have PUC numbers and a carrier number provided by the CHP or Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
• Check reviews: Find out what customers are saying about the company. You can also research on their complaint history.
• Deposit requirements: Most companies don’t ask for payment until they’ve delivered your belonging. If they do, be wary of companies who request for more than 20 percent of the total cost.
• Storage solution: Since you’re downsizing, temporary storage is paramount for you. You can get both worlds. Finding a company that offers both moving and storage solutions save you time, money and storage stress.
Once you have selected your preferred moving company Anaheim, the remaining part is picking a date to move. Box-n-Go Company brings mobile storage to your doorstep for you to pack the items you will need in your new home and those that you want stored separately. Our aim is to make your downsizing transition as smooth as possible. Get in touch with us today.
Box-n-Go Storage offers a refreshing flexible approach to outdoor storage and moving. Residents can have mobile units delivered direct to their address. The standard size 5 x 7 x 8 feet storage units provides an ideal way to store by allowing you to carefully pack and place your possessions in the container in your own time. The container is low loading with easy access so it reduces the risk of injury and back strain lifting items into the unit.
The mobile storage unit is then collected at your convenience to be placed in our secure storage facility. The environment within the storage unit is controlled and they are designed to be breathable. The storage facility ensures your belongings are safe in the specially designed mobile storage unit.