Moving Tips for Business Owners
Relocating offices tends to be a very strenuous activity. However, it is possible to simplify the process by having access to the right tips and tricks. Your business move should never have to be a backbreaking exercise. You can make sure that it goes smoothly by making sure that you have planned ahead as well as in investing in the services of a professional mover.
Simplifying the packing and moving process and prioritizing organization and safety are additional ways of simplifying your upcoming business move. You can use the tips below to guarantee that the next commercial move you make will kick off in earnest and come to its end without having to deal with nasty incidents.
1. Start the Preparations Early
It is recommended that you start the packing process as soon as possible. This is particularly important for large commercial businesses that have many moving parts. You will find that the process of relocating a business will in many cases involve moving more possessions as compared to a home relocation. This, therefore, means that this particular move will require a considerable amount of time to complete.
As such, do not underestimate the value of time. Start making moving preparations as early as possible. It is the only way to avoid making last-minute dashes.
2. Acquire the Right Packing Supplies
Relocating a commercial venture will involve moving many if not all your commercial acquisitions—many of which are quite costly—from the old venue to a new one. Therefore, you will need to acquire the right packing materials to guarantee that your items will reach their destination intact. Materials should always be acquired in advance.
3. Try and Donate the Items You Do Not Need
Regardless of whether you are operating a small, medium-sized, or large enterprise, a relocation will normally present you with a good opportunity to either upgrade or downgrade. During the packing process, you are likely to come across items that are either not used often or items that do not serve a lot of purpose in your operations.
Old copiers, stray office supplies, office furniture, PCs and even printers will be the ideal candidates for bestowment. Donating such items will reduce the amount of work that has to go into the packing process while also presenting you with a rare and unique opportunity to earn some extra cash in the form of a tax write-off. In case you are not interested in writing-off the items being donated, ensure that you confirm that the items will go to registered charity organizations.
This is one task that you cannot afford to overlook. Once you have started the packing process, you will need to make sure that all the packed items are properly organized. The recommended way to keep abreast of things is to make certain that each box has been properly labeled. Labeling makes it easier for you to find the items that you require to get started once you arrive at the new business premises.
Consider using a label-based numbering system. It is the recommended way to keep track of things especially when you are using a commercial moving company. This system will make sure that each box is labeled and a brief explanation of its insides noted at the top or on the side.
In addition to making sure that you will track all your possessions, it will also simplify the process of filing a claim in case the moving company misplaces some of your items during the move.
5. Confirm that Cables and Computers Are Packed Correctly
Company computers tend to be some of the most critical and costly components of any commercial venture. To guarantee their safety during the relocation, be sure to follow these guidelines when packing:
- Ensure each computer is properly protected through the use of the correct packing supplies. This means that each machine should be covered using a heavy blanket secured by packing tape to keep it still. Make certain that computers are not placed on top of other items or vice versa.
- Safeguard the business data. You can do this by dismantling the hard drives and packing them separately in a bid to make sure that they will not sustain any damage. Alternatively, consider backing up the data in your drives into a cloud storage service or into a removable hard drive.
- Use bubble wrap or a thick blanket to wrap the monitors. Each monitor needs to be individually wrapped. Many business owners make the mistake of placing monitors in boxes—this is not recommended as the monitor can easily move around leading to its breakage. When taping the blanket, make sure that the packing tape stays clear of your monitors as they can cause irreparable damage to the screens.
Pay special attention to the cables when relocating. If you are not careful, the cables may become entangled, which will then lead to a frustrating and time-consuming process of trying to disentangle them on arrival at your new location. Unplug the cables from each computer during the packing process.
It is best to acquire some large zip-locked packing bags that can be used to hold the cables during transport. Label each bag to denote the computer where each cable is to be installed.
6. Be Careful with All Your Furniture
The most popular kind of furniture that you are likely to find in any commercial venture includes work, storage, and seating surfaces. The following are a few tips to make sure that each category is properly secured during the relocation:
- Work Surfaces: This often comprises of items such as desks. Confirm that all their drawers (removable components) have been removed before the desks are loaded into the relocation truck. Drawers that cannot be removed should be taped shut. Be sure to pack all your glass surfaces separately.
- Storage: Shelving units and file cabinets should always be packed keeping the issue of space in mind at all times. Where possible, try and remove the shelves. You can use the remaining space to hold light items in a bid to utilize all the available space.
- Seating Surfaces: Office seating furniture can take on very odd shapes. It is, therefore, best to try and dismantle the chairs so as to prevent breakage and conserve the available space. If there are fragile components, make sure that they are secured using bubble wrap or thick moving blankets.
It is always best to hire professional help when undertaking a commercial move. The personnel from the moving company will assist with the shuttling as well as with the heavy lifting and business self storage solutions, thereby helping you save countless man-hours as well as conserve your energy for the duration of the move.